Us Versus Them has a long history of pulling the shroud of legitimacy off of all bullshit holidays. President’s Day is a scam. Columbus Day celebrates something that never even happened. Even Black people don’t celebrate Kwanzaa. The Fourth of July is great, but only when it falls on a Friday or a Monday. You get cheated out of your day off when it falls on a weekend, and you can’t properly get your barbecue and beer in on a Wednesday. One day of Independence in the middle of the week isn’t true independence.
If I had to rank my favorite holidays by category I’m gonna go with:
1. Christmas – Because you have to be a real dick not to love Christmas. Yes, I thought about Jewish people as I wrote that, but even the Jewish have to admit that it isn’t Christmas they hate, it’s the fact Christians start celebrating long about 5 days after Halloween. That’s a little like celebrating a potential touchdown by high-stepping at the 30 yard line. We shouldn’t do that. But we do it because CHRISTMAS IS AWESOME.
2. Thanksgiving – Pilgrims. Giving Thanks. Blah, blah, blah. Thanksgiving is a tribute to eating. We have a nationwide turkey sacrifice and celebrate our excess by eating until we can’t anymore and falling asleep. But you’re with family and it’s an almost automatic 4 day weekend. Presents give Christmas the edge, but only by a small margin.
3. Any holiday where you get a day off. I’m talking a real day off. Not the Post Office and the government days off. They’ll close for anything.
4. Holidays where we recognize those who actually did something for our country. MLK Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day. All good with me. I’m not gonna lie. I have no idea when Veterans day is. But I do appreciate my freedom and their hard work.
5. Holidays where you don’t even get a day off or they are just random and odd. Groundhog Day, I’m looking at you.
Which brings us to the worst day of all. Valentine’s Day.
I know, I know, Valentine’s Day is about love. That’s the worst part of it. You do something in the name of love and all of a sudden we aren’t supposed to realize all the traditions around it are completely ridiculous? Think about it.
First of all, it is long established here at Us Versus Them that Valentine’s Day is Player’s New Year. The day the forces all dudes who are dating more than one woman to declare their main chick.
Or not. Depends on how you work it.
Dinner: Valentine’s Day is on a Thursday this year. Good luck going to a restaurant today. No one with a grown up job wants to leave work tomorrow to rush home, get dressed up, pick up their wife/girlfriend, go to a fancy dinner they had to lock down the reservation for back in January, drink…but not too much because you have to go to work tomorrow and then only maybe get laid, because she’s tired because it was a long day and she’s got work tomorrow too. Happy
fuckin’ Not gettin Any Valentine’s Day.
Flowers: I’m actually down with the flowers. Flowers are good all the time. But the roses are kinda overkill. Valentine’s Day is the superbowl for florists. This is the day of the year when they roll out and get paid. While I appreciate that, it means they are getting over on me. I don’t like that.
Chocolate: The box of chocolates? Does anyone like that box of chocolates? Is anyone looking forward to getting a hold of the raspberry nougat filled dark chocolate one? Is it worth it to bite into 4 other chocolates before you find it? Don’t think about that. The answer is no. No one looks forward to raspberry nougat. If they did, they would sell raspberry nougat candy bars right next to the check out at the grocery store next to the Twix, the Kit Kats and all the other delicious candy. They wouldn’t sell it once a year inside of a heart-shaped box of chocolate roulette.
In fact, it’s actually hard to win on Valentine’s Day. But one wrong move and it is easy as hell to lose. Valentine’s Day just puts on a lot of extra pressure and makes you do a lot of extra stuff and it still won’t be a good as a really solid Saturday night date. You get the whole day to hang out, you can rage Saturday night and recover on Sunday. THAT’S a good night. We don’t need to wait for a random day in mid-February to do that.
Have a very Us Versus Them Valentine’s Day y’all.